Formed in 2013, Gibela is a rail transport consortium that focuses on black economic empowerment (BEE). It is composed of two entities: Alstom, a French rail company holding a 70% stake, and Ubumbano Rail, holding the remaining 30%. Initially, Gibela was set up as a separate company to implement the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa's (Prasa) rolling-stock fleet-renewal programme.
Applicants must demonstrate financial need and academic potential. Gibela funds various disciplines at universities such as:
Computer Science and Information Technology
Supply Chain and Logistics Management
Bursaries are granted for one year and are renewable based on academic performance.
For Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) institutions, applicants must have matric-level four in Mathematics, Physical Science, and English and must provide written proof of acceptance for admission from a South African TVET institution.
Gibela provides funding for disciplines such as:
Fitters and Turners
Control and Instrumentation Technicians
Funding is granted for one year and renewable based on academic performance.
Requirements and eligibility
Prerequisites for university applications:
Applicants need matric-level six in Maths, Physical Science, and Accounting as well as matric-level five in English in order to qualify. Written proof of acceptance for admission from a South African University or University of technology.
TVET institution application prerequisite:
Applicants must have matric-level four in Mathematics, Physical Science, and English. Gibela also requires written proof of acceptance for admission from a South African TVET institution.
How to apply
*Please note that the Gibela Bursary Scheme is closed for 2023 and will reopen for 2024 toward the end of this year. Be sure to check the Bursaries website for updates regarding the Gibela Bursary Scheme 2024.
Send the following documents to the email provided below:
A short curriculum vitae.
Certified copies of their academic records.
Certified copy of their South African Identity Document.