Call for postgraduate scholarships 2022
The Joan Wrench Scholarship Fund was established in 2018 to recognise academic achievement of young professionals and to provide financial support to pursue practical training or postgraduate studies in relevant biodiversity fields.
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is pleased to announce a call for applications for Honours, Masters and Doctoral (or equivalent NQF levels) scholarships for full time studies in 2022.
Only projects relevant to SANBI’s mandate and identified as a priority will be considered. For specific projects click here. For other projects, please contact us before submitting an application to check if your proposal is suitable.
Candidates must be pro-active, enthusiastic, and interested in doing excellent research that can make a difference. These scholarships are only available to South African citizens and will be awarded in line with national equity targets. Students need to apply for university programmes themselves and the scholarship is conditional upon them securing their placement in a postgraduate programme and have provisional acceptance from prospective academic supervisors, of which one must be from SANBI.
- Only full time studies will be supported
- Applicants must be South African citizens
- Applicants can register at any South African university
- Applicants must be based in the Western Cape for at least three (3) months of every year of study for field or lab work and face to face consultation with SANBI supervisors (where relevant).
- The focus of research projects, including field sites, must be in the Western Cape and clear benefits to Kirstenbosch must be demonstrated (including specimens deposited, improvement of the Compton collections etc).
- Only research projects in line with SANBI’s mandate will be considered
- Applicants must not be employed
- Applicants must not hold other scholarships/bursaries
- Existing studies will not be supported
- Registration for a second Honours, Masters or Doctoral degree will not be considered