Keaton Energy Holdings Limited (Keaton Energy) is a coal mining and development company, with shares listed on the main board of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
The company’s assets comprise two operating collieries, Vanggatfontein and Vaalkrantz; two development projects, Sterkfontein and Braakfontein; and an exploration pipeline including three prospects that have potential as expansions to existing collieries and projects, and two that may result in new development projects.
Keaton Energy was acquired by Wescoal now Salungano Group in 2017.
A limited number of bursaries are awarded each year to selected candidates to study for a bachelor's degree at a South African university. The intention of the scheme is to provide the Keaton Energy Group with high-caliber
graduates who wish to make their career in one of its companies.
At the sole discretion of KEATON ENERGY, the Bursar undertakes to work for KEATON ENERGY or its nominee for a
year(s) of which Keaton Energy has made bursary payments for, e.g. a 3-year
bursary may give rise to a 3-year obligation to serve Keaton Energy or its nominee.
Keaton Energy Mining Bursaries Application Procedures 2023/2024
ID document (certified copy).
Current Matric students: Grade 11 end-of-year results and Matric progress report/ latest results (certified copies).
Students who have completed Matric: Matric certificate (certified copy).
Candidates looking to apply for the Keaton Energy Mining Bursaries must be:
• South African citizens and under or turning the age of 21 during their first year of study (applicants for first
year of undergraduate study) and under or turning (or have been under the age of, or turned) the age of 23
during their second year of study (applicants for second and subsequent years of undergraduate study)
• studying or intending to study full-time towards a degree at a recognised South African university that is
acceptable to Keaton Energy
• able to provide proof of their academic results for grade 11 and progress in grade 12 or alternatively be in
possession of a grade 12 Bachelor pass with acceptable symbols or tertiary results
• intending to study for a bachelor's degree full-time commencing in the year after the application is made
• accepted by the university for the degree course as recorded on the bursary application form
In terms of the projected manpower requirements, bursaries will only currently be considered for the following
* In the geology discipline, bursaries are considered for both undergraduate studies and honours degrees
How to apply
1. Application forms are sent out between February and May of each year. Forms will be sent to those applicants intending to study or already studying in a field related to the Group's projected manpower requirements (see above).
The closing date for applications is 30 June annually. Late applications will not be considered.
2. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted in July and will be required to undergo psychometric testing as well as
a panel interview. In addition, all candidates are required to undergo a medical examination and be in
possession of a valid Medical Certificate of Fitness for the appropriate category of work for the duration of
their bursary and subsequent employment with Keaton Energy or its nominee.
3. After completion of the selection process, bursary awards are determined at the discretion of Keaton Energy Holdings (Pty) Limited. All awards are subject to the applicant gaining acceptance, or gaining promotion to the
year of study applied for, for the course at the university and for the commencement year stipulated in their
bursary agreement. Selected candidates will be notified in writing.
4. Selected candidates will be required to sign a bursary agreement on acceptance of the award.
5. The Bursar will be required to provide surety for the agreement.