Haw & Inglis (Est 1984) is a Western Cape based construction company specializing in projects of significant size and complex scope including road construction, road rehabilitation, infrastructure and building construction. The company operates throughout South Africa and neighbouring states.
Whilst the company’s core focus is major National and Provincial arterial roads and urban highways, its expertise extends to urban infrastructure and select institutional, industrial, commercial, residential and other building projects.
Road construction operations are supported by GKC, our in-house crushing/aggregate supply company as well as concrete work operations to support roadwork construction activities. Additional concrete construction capacity was introduced through the acquisition of Peak Projects in 2007 and, more recently, Ursa Civils in 2012.
Our managers lead experienced professional teams whose relevant members are registered and qualified with the appropriate professional bodies. The management team operates from Cape Town providing a co-ordinated and expert backup support to site management.
Haw & Inglis’ focuses on being competitive and innovative to continue offering its clients superior personal service whilst providing employees a culture that recognizes and rewards independent initiative. Management maintains the company’s leadership in the market through structured organic growth for which the ongoing skills training and upliftment of all employees are critical.
EMPLOYMENT AND BURSARY PROGRAMME FOR STUDENTS
The Company has a programme to train students either at Universities, Universities of Technology and CETA Learnerships in order to ensure sufficient numbers of graduates and technicians for the company’s future needs.
It is customary for potential bursary candidates to work for the company for at least a year after their matriculation from school in order to give candidates the opportunity to judge whether they enjoy this type of work and industry and also to give the Company an opportunity to assess the candidate.
Thereafter, successful candidates will be sponsored to study Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Building Science at a University or University of Technology. This formal education is followed up by on the job training and mentorship under the supervision of skilled, trained and professional people.
VAC WORK / EXPERIENTIAL TRAINING
The Haw &Inglis Group offers vac work placements as well as experiential training in the following disciplines:
• CIVIL ENGINEERING
• SCHOLARSHIP BURSARIES
Students from Grade 10, excelling in both Mathematics and Science, can apply to the Company for a bursary. The students must have an interest in the Civil and Building Construction Industry to be considered.
Requirements and eligibility
How are bursaries awarded?
• Bursaries are awarded according to academic merit and the requirements of the various
universities & university of technologies.
• Final selections are made by an internal committee.
• Bursary funds are paid directly to the tertiary institution.
Who is eligible for a Bursary?
• ONLY applicants who intend to study or who are already studying for a H&I approved undergraduate qualification (Civil Engineering, Building, Mechanical Engineering) at an accredited and registered tertiary institution in South Africa.
• Applicants who intend studying for a post graduate qualification e.g. BTech; Honours; Masters or Doctoral degrees are NOT ELIGIBLE.
What are the minimum requirements for an applicant to be considered?
• Applicants who are writing Grade 12 and have not yet begun university study require a
minimum of 60% or “C” aggregate in Mathematics and Physical Science on a recognized
school leaving certificate.
• It is customary for potential candidates to work for the company for at least a year after matric in order to give the candidate the opportunity to assess whether he/she shows interest in the construction environment, and to give the company an opportunity to assess the candidate.
• Applicants already at tertiary institutions must have a good academic record, with a 100% pass in all courses/modules/subjects.
How to apply
Follow the application link (http://www.haw-inglis.co.za/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Bursary-Application-Form-1.pdf) and complete the form in its entirety to apply for the Bursary:
INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WITH YOUR RETURNED APPLICATION FORM Students in School/Matric:
A certified copy of your ID Document
Colour ID Photo
Learners or Drivers license, if applicable (certified copy)
A certified copy of your Grade 11 final results
Certified copies of your Matric June & September results
A certified copy of your Matric final results, if available
Students at University / University of Technology:
A certified copy of your ID Document
Colour ID Photo (to be attached to the application form)
Certified copies of your Learners or Drivers license, if applicable
A certified copy of your full academic record
THE ENTIRE APPLICATION FORM MUST BE COMPLETED IN ORDER FOR YOUR APPLICATION TO CONSIDERED.