The origins of the present group date back to 1970 when Wilson-Holmes (Pty) Ltd was formed by John Wilson and Brian Holmes. A number of mergers followed resulting in the name being changed to Wilson Bayly Holmes (Pty) Limited in 1983 and finally to WBHO Construction in 1996. Today the group is one of the largest construction companies in Southern Africa and is listed on the Johannesburg Securities Exchange. The driving force behind WBHO is a core of dedicated, hands-on management professionals whose experience spans decades of major construction projects in southern Africa, the Middle East and various Indian Ocean islands. WBHO's offices are strategically located in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban and Port Elizabeth. Construction activities, which cover the full spectrum, are divided into three main operating divisions, Building Construction, Civil Engineering and Roads and Earthworks. Our Australian subsidiary, Probuild Constructions, has its headquarters in Melbourne.
WBHO Construction (Pty) Ltd offer bursaries, in-service training as well as vacation work in line with relevant fields of study.
- All subjects to be passed each semester, re-writes / failed subjects are at the students own expense
- Vac work to be undertaken during the holiday period
- One week compulsory Students Training in June/July
- Work back period determined by number of years’ sponsorship given (one year work - back period for each year of sponsorship).
- Work back period commences n completion of qualification
- Allowance determined by current year and field of study
- All bursary applications close in June for the following year
Does it matter which year I am in when applying for one of the programmes?
- You may apply during any year of study.
Which site will I be sent to when I am on vac work?
- This will depend on which sites have vacancies available, to take students on, at the time you complete vac work.
Do I have to provide my own PPE?
- WBHO will provide you with the required PPE.
Am I guaranteed a job after my bursary period?
- This will depend on your results and aptitude together with the availability of positions within WBHO.
Are there opportunities to mentor other bursary students?
- Yes, opportunities do exist.
May I choose which Learning Institution I attend?
- WBHO has identified specific institutions that you could select from.
Does WBHO provide accommodation when I am working on a site during vac work?
- This is dependent on the geographic location of the site.
Requirements and eligibility
South African citizen
60% average or above
Studying toward a BEng, BSc, ND or BTech qualification in one the following disciplines: Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Construction Management or Building Science
Students are shortlisted and selected based on the current and future needs of the organisation.
How to apply
In order to apply for one of the programmes offered by WBHO, the relevant application form as well as accompanying documentation should be emailed through to the respective email address. Please note incomplete applications will not be considered.